All pupils follow the National Curriculum at a level and a pace that is appropriate to their abilities. Our SEND philosophy places SEND children at the heart of personalised learning and our curriculum is tailored to meet individual pupils needs.
All pupils in school receive quality first teaching. This means that a range of teaching and learning styles are used and that appropriate learning objectives are set for all children. At times and when it is felt appropriate, modifications to the curriculum may be implemented. To successfully match pupil ability to the curriculum Tudhoe Colliery Primary remain committed to:
- A range of teaching and learning styles
- Differentiated learning materials
- Access to ICT and Technology
- Additional in class support
- Additional out of class support
- Many Enrichment and Enjoyment opportunities to stimulate and motivate learning
- Flexible groupings – including small group support work
- An innovative and supportive curriculum
- The appropriate use of rewards and sanctions
- Assessment procedures that emphasise pupils’ strengths and achievement
- Applications during national testing at Key Stage 2 to obtain access arrangements as appropriate
For Maths and English our classes are set by year group , with a Teacher and Teaching Assistant in every class. Pupils are also offered additional one to one tuition, small group work or interventions where needed.
Our curriculum also includes the social and emotional aspects imperative for life long learning. This is delivered through the PSHE curriculum. Our school has high expectations of behaviour, attitude and effort from all pupils.
Life skills are developed through a range of curriculum activities including, team building, cooperation and resilience through problem solving in lessons, team games, residential activities, Forest Schools etc.