Through our reading curriculum, we aim to develop our children into fluent, confident readers who are able to talk confidently about their reading preferences and use reading as a vehicle to understand the world around them and their place within it.
Through our reading curriculum, children will…
- Develop phonic knowledge so they can accurately decode words, using a consistent and progressive approach through EYFS and KS1
- Develop fluency in reading and be able to read with tone and expression
- Develop a love of reading and individual preferences for books and authors
- Be able to talk confidently about books and their opinion on what they have read
- Develop and extend their vocabulary
- Develop a deep understanding of what they have read
- Develop their understanding of the world through experiencing a wide range of different genres and authors
All aims are of equal importance.
More details on how we teach and promote reading are given in our Reading Policy, including details of the Read Write Inc Phonics programme used in school.